Monday, February 2, 2009

oh to communicate

One week of language school has past. James, the enthusiastic Canadian, encouraged by Sarah, the possessor of excellent Spanish decided it would be an idea to speak only spanish here. Needless to say, we have not communicated much in the last week and the coversation has been puncuated by mad flicking through dictionaries or drawings. Saturday we spoke English and it was amazing to be able to communicate again! I spent the week thinking of things I would love to tell people but not having the ability.
On the upside I had some time to get to know some locals, during soccer and at church. I even braved public transport with them to go to the next town.
By sunday night, we all needed a night off absorbing Spanish and the USA superball (or is it superbowl? I do not really know!) provided an opportunity. So I spent the evening hanging out with a brunch of north americans learning about this sacred event. The thing went for about 6 hours! In between I fielded all their questions about Australia. Some of them, inspired by Crocodile Dundee have decided to call me Shelia, and they are all working on adopting my accent! I feel like a celebrity.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Susannah! What an adventure! Enjoy those tortillas while you can. You can't beat freshly made ones :)You should try getting your american friends to watch a game of AFL with you - now that takes some explaining! But seriously, it's good to hear that you are well and learning so much. May God bless you and sustain you in the coming weeks and months. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have played charades when i asked you Susannah, Communication isn't only verbal. The Speechie

    ReplyDelete