Friday, January 16, 2009

The Castle

Without wanting to sound like that scene from "The Castle" when the main conversation after the sister returns from the honeymoon overseas and all the brother can ask is about the food here is my take on the flight.
We were contacted a few hours before my Sydney flight to say that the flight to LA would be delayed. So I got on a later flight to Sydney but still left sydney at 9pm after leaving home at lunch time. At least i got an emergency exit window seat next to someone who composes music for movies. After navigating through LAX, and finding the correct gate i boarded the flight to Colorado Springs. After quite a few hours alone it was great to finally make it. The other three Costa Rica interns came to meet me at the airport which was great!
So 31 hours after I left home, we arrived at "the Hideaway" where we are staying, to more friendly welcomes.
Today was the commissioning at head office, then 3 hours talking about the causes of poverty, God's response to the poor and then looking at good and bad example of relief.
In the afternoon we went for a walk around town, and then I had the unique American exerience of Wall-mart, which was just like Big-W.
The scenery here is amazing, the rockies are really close and there is lots of snow. I keep explaining that snow is actually exciting to me, because when I left Melbourne it was 40 degrees...and that is not Fahrenheit.
I'm really enjoying getting to know the other 21 interns and some permanent staff. But then again putting me in a room with a bunch of Christian engineers with a social conscious was bound to make me happy!

5 comments:

  1. hey Susannah! I found you :) will be watching/reading closely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. walmart like big-w but they sell guns and ammunition? haha...keep enjoying yourself and be safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. met some people based in Colorado Springs whilst at P.I. and they gave us a run down on the climate and situation. Sounds stunning, hope you were warm enough. Plenty of 'sweaters'?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Susannah, everyone is saying,"where's the pictures?". send us a rafting picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol I know what you mean about wall mart! Everyone was telling me to go. I could have skipped the whole thing :-P And the snow!! how great is it!! lol

    ReplyDelete