Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Another new enviroment.....

Another week, another town. I am now in rural west Costa Rica at language school. The main industry in this town is coffee and sugar. It is in a valley, surrounded by mountains. So it reminds my of the Yarra Valley, where I grew up.
We started classes yesterday. It is very relaxed, classes in the morning and free afternoon except for 2 days per week, when we have a cooking class or extra language classes. I am in a class with just one other which should increase my learning pace.
I am living with a local family, who are very friendly. My host mother cooks tortillas everyday, sometimes twice a day. Everyday I feel bad at the effort she goes to. Making the dough, patting it out into a round shape, dry frying in a pan, toasting over a fire.
Had my first hot shower since I arrived in Costa Rica today which was very exciting. There is no hot water, except for instant heating so it is still lukewarm, but I felt like I was at the Hilton, even though there was a gecko outside! These form of hot water showers are known as widow makers or suicide showers, but I am assured they are safe!
Apologies for the lack of contractions, this key board is a bit messed up. The question mark in under the underscore button and I can not find the apostrophy!

2 comments:

  1. Only one gecko? Not impressed, you should have several in there with you! You took the dictionary so you have to send some Spanish phrases to us! Its been 45C here today with promises of a hotter night , and same tomorrow with hot wins as well. I'm glad I'm just making salads!love, Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any other excuse than 'the keyboards different' would be inexcusable, but i'll give you a few days to get used to it....

    Thanks for setting me up with the tutoring. He sounds like a great lad and I'm looking forward to working with him.

    It was VERY hot today, but I'm sure its not freezing in Costa Rica. Sounds like you're doing great, keep it up.

    Hugh

    ReplyDelete