Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Speaking spanish without even realising

My cultured North American friends and I were out at tis place which advertises itself as "Tex-Mex". I see this item on the menu which says "Chilli", that's it, just "Chilli". Bemused that someone might just order a spicy vegetqable for lunch I ask if anyone had any idea what this might be or if anyone can come up with a translation. This is when they look at me and ask "don't you have that in Australia?". So they explain it is made of tomatoes, beans, mince meat, onion, chilli powder all cooked together. It's at this point I explain that we do eat that in Australia, in fact my Dad cooks it amost every week, with Kangaroo meat. Then they ask what I call it, then it dawn on me, I've been speaking Spanish without even realising it! For years! And my Dad is actually more cultured than I even gave him credit for.
Sarah ordered Chilli/Chilli con carne/Chilli with meat and it was cheese sauce. Interesting....

6 comments:

  1. Kangaroo meat! Does this taste like chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No crocodile tastes like chicken. Kangaroo is more like beef.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and for those wondering why we eat our national emblem, it's low impact on the enviroment, cheap and low fat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kangaroo meat is very cheap...and indeed low fat. You just have to find a good market to get your hands on it.

    Your chilli story reminds me of a recent experience I had at a dinner with missionaries (back on home assignment) from Chile (I'm on the missions committee so I do this sort of thing semi regularly). With the typical South American beans, rice etc dinner, in the condiments section they have a sauce bottle labelled only 'death.' Typical male bravado I decide to have a crack at it, and let's say I didn't do much talking for the rest of the evening and spent a lot of time in the bathroom.
    They kindly explained on the way home that in Chile, they (the locals) like to have this sort of thing in post church lunch on Sunday, to sort out the real South Americans from the foreigners.

    ReplyDelete