Monday, March 9, 2009

Hot climates

When I got accepted into this program, I was sent a few books, a T-shirt, and a whole lot of information. One of the books talked about "hot" and "cold" climate people. Hot climate people value (among other things) relationships and being with people. Cold climate value efficency. While it reached 48 degrees (that is 118 for all the imperial lovers out there) in Melbourne a few weeks ago, I'm a cold climate person. In fact I'm practically frezzing. Costa Ricans are hot climate people. As fellow intern Marcos says, there is no such thing as introverted Hispanics. I was reminded of this a few days ago. I decided a walk would be a good idea. The temperature had dropped a bit and I felt like some exercise, so I told my host mother I was going for a walk. (note the I, e.g. first person singular). She quickly changed her shoes, and we set off, along with 3 kids, 2 bicycles and a dog. Where we walked to normally takes me about 5 minutes, but it took us about 30, because as we walked we stopped and spoke to the neighbours. Anyone we saw we had a conversation with and made sure their children were ok and that they were enjoying the weather.
I had invisioned exercise, and some time alone. But the idea of being alone for pleasure is unheard of in this culture, everything is about relationship. So I am learning and by the end of this 6 months I may have moved from freezing to just cold!

3 comments:

  1. you make me smile Susannah, hope things are going well. Miss seeing you around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true, so true! Another thing, Cold climate people like the shortest distance between two lines, but Hot climate people meander , like a delta.
    You're a very lovable freezing climate person Susannah, loved hearing your voice today.
    Mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lack of solitude would be somewhat annoying to you I imagine.

    Then again, I'm sure the benefits of the relationships you're investing in over there outweigh that.

    ReplyDelete